Costly damages due to improper maintenance and handling of your indoor plumbing and outdoor landscaping can result in poor performance or damaging of your septic system. Avoid system back-up and and costly replacement or repair costs by following these tips:
- Conserve water to reduce the load on your septic system.
- Divert rain water, from gutters and foundation drainage, away from the septic system.
- Never flush cat litter, disposable diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons, paper towels, facial tissues, coffee grounds, cigarette butts, or similar items down the toilet.
- Use garbage disposals wisely as they can double the amount of solids added to a septic tank.
- Do not pour grease or hazardous chemicals down your drains.
- Keep trees away from your septic systems to avoid root infestation.
- Have your septic pumped regularly. Not sure how often? Click here to find out.